Elissa Leibowitz Poma is a writer and artist in Washington, DC. She has been published in more than 100 newspapers, magazines and websites as a freelance writer specializing in travel journalism. Publications and websites include: The Washington Post, Budget Travel magazine, The Philadelphia Inquirer, The Independent Traveler, Travel Channel.com and Cruise Critic.
Elissa studied journalism at George Washington University and previously worked for The Washington Post, Dallas Morning News and St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Her day job is as deputy director of communications and marketing at the global conservation nonprofit World Wildlife Fund, where she has worked for a decade.
In addition to her writing career, Elissa is an artist specializing in illustrations, streetscapes and figure painting. She has completed commissions for individuals, nonprofit organizations, real estate agencies, private corporations and others. She studied painting and drawing at The Art League School in Alexandria, Va., and Montgomery County (Pa.) Community College.
- Newspapers: The Washington Post, International Herald-Tribune, Dallas Morning News, Miami Herald, Chicago Tribune, Philadelphia Inquirer, Boston Globe, St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Ft. Lauderdale Sun Sentinel, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Newsday, San Francisco Chronicle, Seattle Times, Roanoke Times, Spokane Spokesman-Review
- Magazines: Budget Travel, Newsweek, World Wildlife magazine, AAA En Compass, Wild Travel magazine
- Websites: Independent Traveler, Travel Channel.com, NBC News.com, Budget Travel.com, Cruise Critic, Africa Geographic.com, Good Nature travel blog, Azamara Destination Immersion blog
Published Photography & Artwork
- Photos: O (The Oprah Magazine), Discover, Africa Geographic, World Wildlife
- Illustrations: World Wildlife magazine, Azamara Club Cruises’ Destination Immersion Blog, Good Nature Travel Blog